||Prof. Dr. Hans Peter Büchler
|Begin of Lecture
|Time / Location
- Wednesday: 09:45 - 11:15 a.m., Pfaffenwaldring 57, 4.331
- Friday: 02:00 - 03:30 p.m., Pfaffenwaldring 57, 5.331
||Lecture: English / Tutorials: English
- There are two types of exercises: "Written" exercises are handed in in class and graded/corrected by the tutor. "Oral" exercises are discussed in the tutorials and presented by students on the blackboard.
- Admission to the final exam requires 80% of the written scores, 66% of the oral scores, and presenting a problem on the blackboard in class twice.
- The exercises will start from 19.04.2017.
- The registration for the exercise groups will be active from Wednesday, 12.04.2017, 2 pm. To register, you need the Lecture Key given in the first lecture.
- If you assign a password at the registration, you can request your current scores here.
- There will be an oral examination at the end of the course. Details will be given in the lecture.
- G. Blatter: Festkörperphysik (ETH Zürich), username: student, password is the lecture key.
- A. Muramatsu, Solid State Theory
- A. H. Castro Neto, Introduction to Condensed Matter Physics
- N. W. Ashcroft and N. D. Mermin, Solid State Physics, Sauders College Publishing, 1976
- J. M. Ziman, Principles of the Theory of Solids, Cambridge University Press, 1972
- W. Jones and N. H. March, Theoretical Solid State Physics, John Wiley, 1973
- A. L. Fetter and J. D. Walecka, Quantum Theory
Development of a deepened knowledge of Advanced Theoretical Physics, i.e., Thermodynamics, Statistics and Many-Body Theory. Ability to transfer thermo-statistical and solid-statephysical concepts inside different fields of physics; model development. Well-founded insights into advanced topics of quantum statistics. Cross-linked knowledge of the problems of Solid-State Theory like phonons, electrons in solids, magnetism and superconductivity.
- Crystal structure
- Lattice vibrations
- Electrons in a periodic potential
- Interacting electrons
- Collective excitations
The script is in German only!