- Begin of lecture
Wednesday, 11 April 2018
- Time and Date
- Wednesday, 9:45 - 11:15 a.m., Seminar Room 5.331, Pfaffenwaldring 57
- Friday, 2:00 - 3:30 p.m., Seminar Room 5.331, Pfaffenwaldring 57
- General Information
- The lecture and the tutorials will be given in English.
- There are two types of exercises: "Written" exercises are handed in in class and graded/corrected by the tutor. "Oral" exercises are discussed in the tutorials and presented by students on the blackboard.
- Admission to the final exam requires 80% of the written scores, 66% of the oral scores, and presenting a problem on the blackboard twice.
- The registration for the exercise groups is now open. In order to register, you need the Lecture Key given in the first lecture.
- If you assign a password at the registration, you can request your current scores here.
There will be an oral examination at the end of the course. Details will be given in the lecture.
The goal is to gain a thorough understanding of relativistic quantum field theory, the concepts of Feynman diagrams, renormalisation for quantum electrodynamics, and to extend this knowledge to non-abelian gauge theories. In particular:
- Relativistic quantum mechanics and Dirac equation
- Path integral formalism
- Quantisation - Free fields
- Interacting fields and Feynman diagrams
- Elementary processes and first corrections
- Non-abelian gauge fields
Date Topic Comments 11.04.18 Elements of classical field theory Peskin/Schroeder (PS) pp. 15-19 13.04.18 Quantisation of the Klein-Gordon field PS pp. 19-22 18.04.18 Causality and propagators PS pp. 23-31 20.04.18 Dirac equation PS pp. 35-44 25.04.18 Free-particle solutions of the Dirac equation PS pp. 45-52 27.04.18 Quantisation of Dirac theory PS pp. 52-63 02.05.18 Discrete symmetries and interacting fields PS pp. 64-71 & pp. 77-82 04.05.18 Perturbation expansion PS pp. 82-87 09.05.18 Wick theorem and Feynman diagrams PS pp. 88-91
- Problem Sets
No. Problem Set Date Comments 1 Problem Set 1 11.04.18 2 Problem Set 2 20.04.18 3 Problem Set 3 27.04.18 There was a misprint in eq. (3). 4 Problem Set 4 04.05.18 5 Problem Set 5 11.05.18 6 Problem Set 6 18.05.18 7 Problem Set 7 01.06.18 8 Problem Set 8 08.06.18 9 Problem Set 9 15.06.18 10 Problem Set 10 22.06.18 11 Problem Set 11 29.06.18 12 Problem Set 12 06.07.18 13 Problem Set 13 13.07.18